Both my parents were born in the West Indies on two small Caribbean islands named Barbados and ST Lucia and this is where my inspiration has come from for these recipes.
I’m ashamed to say I have only been to one of the countries – Barbados and I love it with all my heart. I hope one day we can all visit St Lucia as a family the way we previously visited Barbados.
I recently took up the challenge to take part in a Cricket World Cup Recipe Challenge and you’ve guessed it I’ve chosen the Amazing West Indies Cricket Team. This is the first time I’ve created both dishes and I was ridiculously excited to get started then even more excited to eat it. Remember you don’t have to make a meal out of these you can actually use the chicken wings as a starter, you can even dress it with some salad. There are so many ways to create the pie also you can add and take away anything that doesn’t work well for you – I used Soya milk but evaporated milk is preferred to make the pie stick together better.
But enough rambling I’ll let you see what I’ve created and hopefully you can do the same.
Feel free to Pin the images to Pinterest as a bookmark!
Sticky Caribbean Chicken
- 1/4 Cup Caribbean Rum
- 3 Tbsp Agave Nectar ( I pick it up from Sainsbury's in the Sugar section)
- 4 Tbsp Lemon Juice
- 2 Tbsp Soy Sauce
- 2 Tbsp Freshly Squeezed Orange Jucie
- 2 Tbsp Brown Sugar
- 4 Tsp Garlic & Ginger Paste (Down the world food aisle)
- 1/2 Scotch Bonnet
- 1 Tsp AllSpice
- 1 Tsp Dried Thyme
- 1/2 Tsp Grated Nutmeg
- 2 Tbsp Ground Black Pepper
- - Cut off the wing tips and all extra fat
- - Wash your wings in cold water then leave to soak for about 10 mins in cold water, Vinegar/Lemon juice and salt.
- - Mix all ingredients together in a bowl then place the chicken in the bowl to marinate (For the best full flavor taste leave chicken to marinate overnight in the fridge)
- - Preheat oven to 210°C/400°F
- - Place the chicken into a foil covered baking tray (without any extra juices)
- - Place the chicken into the oven for 30 mins
- - Place the remainder of the marinate into a saucepan
- - Bring to the boil
- - Let simmer for 10 mins
- - Add a layer of sauce to your wings
- - Place the wings back into the oven for 10 mins
- - Once out the over pour the rest of the sauce on the wings
- 2 Cups of Macaroni
- 1 Tsp Salt for the Macaroni Boiling Water
- 2 Free Range Eggs
- 3 Cups Grated Cheese
- 1.5 Cups of Milk
- 1/4 Ground Black Pepper
- 1 Tbsp Brown Sugar
- Half an Onion
- Half Red Pepper
- Half Yellow Pepper
- - Boil Macaroni in salted water until tender
- - Chop Onions & Pepper into small dices
- - Add Eggs to a bowl and whisk until fluffy
- - Add Milk, Sugar, Black Pepper, Chopped Onions and Peppers to the Eggs to a bowl and stir well
- - Add cooked Macaroni to above mixture and stir well
- - Grease a pirex dish and pour bowl mixture
- - Add as much cheese as you wish to the top
- - Back in the over for 45 Mins
- - Allow pie to rest for 10 mins and serve
I think I’ve done pretty well for this challenge – Let me know what you think!
Why not give it a go yourself.
Until Next Time Charlotte x