While the weather is still warm it is best to get the majority of your home maintenance work carried out, as well as the other odd jobs that you have been putting off throughout the rest of the year. Summer is the best time to carry out these odd jobs as cold weather or rain can often have a negative impact on the work being done, which can slow it down. Here is a list of jobs that you can carry out this summer and tick of your ‘to do’ list:
1. Boiler Maintenance – You should get your boiler checked every year to ensure it is still in good working condition and that the there is no wear and tear or problems with the system that need repairing or replacing. Summer is the best time to sort this as you can get it ready for the colder months ahead; a boiler breakdown in winter is much more difficult to deal with!
2. Roofing repairs – If you haven’t checked your roof in a while it may be something to take a look into. If there are any obvious signs of wear and tear you should get this seen to as soon as possible. This is because if there is any major work that needs to be done it should be carried out before the rain sets in. It may be more difficult to find someone to take on the job during winter, and the dramatic weather changes could hold up the repairs. It’s also a good idea to sort it out now in case there is a leak; extensive damage from water ingress is even more costly.
3. Painting- Whether it is on the inside or the outside, adding a lick of paint can make all the difference to your home; it can instantly refresh and update your house. No one wants to stand outside painting in the rain so ensuring this is carried out in the summer is the best option. Even if you were to paint the inside of your home, you will be able to open the windows and allow the warm weather to help quicken the drying process.
4. Garden work- Unless you are a determined green fingered expert, the majority of people tend to ignore their garden until there is a bit of sunshine and they want to sit out in it. Apart from the odd mow of the lawn your garden probably doesn’t get the TLC it deserves, so get out your gardening gloves and start tidying it up a bit.
5. Driveways or Patios – Again this is a job that is difficult to carry out in bad weather, so if you are looking to replace or install a patio or driveway now is the time to do it. The job will most likely take much quicker so your labour costs will be reduced.
Now that you have a ready made list for you to work your way down, you can start ticking off all the jobs to make your home not only look more appealing, but also give you the satisfaction of completing all those things you never really got round to doing. So what are you waiting for? Get working!
Ekta Mair is very good at procrastinating when it comes to maintenance work around the house, however she recommends Pritchard Services LTD for quick and efficient boiler installation, repairs and maintenance.